A proud legacy of success with
a strong global focus

History

BioReliance Corporation has more than 60 years of experience working with healthcare companies and government agencies to support the development and manufacture of safe and effective products.

2009

BioReliance opens a Liaison office in Bangalore, India.

BioReliance expands its Storage facility in the UK.
 

2008

BioReliance opens a commercial office in Tokyo, Japan.

BioReliance expands its Cell Banking facility in the UK.

 

2007

BioReliance is acquired by Avista Capital Partners, a leading private equity firm.

BioReliance introduces its iNet client extranet to facilitate sample submission and client access to study status and study results.

BioReliance will celebrate its 60th anniversary, firmly establishing its position as one of the most experienced contract testing laboratories in the world.

 

2004

BioReliance becomes a subsidiary of Invitrogen, so expanding our resources and broadening the range of services available to all of our clients.


 

2003

BioReliance acquires Q-One Biotech.

 

2000

BioReliance announces its selection by DynPort LLC as the principal provider for development and manufacturing services suporting the U.S. Department of defense (DoD) Smallpox Vaccine Biodefense Program. This program is managed through the Joint Vaccine Acquisition Program (JVAP), which was created to develop and procure biological defense vaccines for all branches of the U.S. military to protect against biological warfare threats.

BioReliance celebrates the opening of its new 58,000 square-foot manufacturing facility. The new facility, adjacent to its corporate headquarters and other corporate laboratories, is believed to be the first-of-its-kind contract facility for the manufacture of viral-based products at commercial market scale under cGMP regulations.


1999

Analytical Services is expanded with the opening of our new state-of-the-art analytical laboratory.

BioReliance expands R&D into the New Corporate Headquarters Building.

 

1998

BioReliance Corporation announces the ground breaking of a new 58,000 square foot viral production facility in Rockville, Maryland.

BioReliance's grand opening of its new Rockville facility at 14920 Broschart Road which contains corporate offices, analytical laboratories, research and development, quality assurance, human resources and sales and marketing. The Open House for clients and employees was also attended by Maryland Governor Parris Glendenning, Congresswoman Connie Morella and Executive Douglas Duncan among others.

 

1997

BioReliance Corporation is established as the parent Company to all testing, development and manufacturing subsidiaries worldwide.

BioReliance completes its Initial Public Offering (IPO) effective August 1 and begins trading on the NASDAQ National Market under the symbol "BREL." Underwriters are Morgan Stanley and Hambrecht & Quist.

The Company is awarded a five-year, $18 million NIEHS contract involving the evaluation of transgenic animal models for accelerated cancer risk assessment. Company scientists begin an effort to shorten the "in life" portion of long-term carcinogenicity studies from two years to six months.

The Company is awarded four NIH contracts totaling $3.5 million for vector development and manufacturing in support of a number of different gene therapy protocols.

The Company forms BioReliance GmbH to provide development services in Heidelberg, Germany.

The Company celebrates the 50th anniversary of its founding on September 24 by breaking ground for a new 50,000 square foot headquarters and laboratory facility located among its existing laboratory facilities in Rockville, Maryland.

 

1996

The Company establishes an international Scientific Advisory Board to help advance new assay developments. The first four members are Dr. Frances Gannon, Executive Director of the European Molecular Biology Organization (EMBO; Heidelberg, Germany); Dr. Inder M. Verma, Professor of Molecular Biology at the Salk Institute (La Jolla, California); Dr. John E. Shively, Chairman of the Division of Immunology at the Beckman Research Institute of the City of Hope (Duarte, California); and Dr. Richard J. Albertini, former Director of the Vermont Cancer Center at the University of Vermont (Burlington, Vermont).

MA acquires BIOMEVA GmbH, located in Heidelberg, Germany. BIOMEVA already is a successful, cGMP-compliant Contract Manufacturing Organization (CMO) offering fermentation services using recombinant and natural microorganisms.

The Montgomery County Private Industry Council names the Company "Employer of the Year."

 

1995

MA enters the market for analytical testing of pharmaceuticals, focusing on macromolecules and providing characterization services using analytical techniques.

MA is selected "High Technology Firm of the Year" from among over 200 technology company members of what is today the High Technology Council of Maryland.

 

1994

MA conducts safety testing for the first liver transplanted from a baboon to a human.


 

1993

Part of the Company's LSC facility is renovated and validated to current Good Manufacturing Practices ("cGMP") standards for cell banking, sterility testing and viral manufacturing.

The Company establishes MAGENTA Corporation as a wholly-owned subsidiary and the world's first independent contract manufacturer for viral-based products particularly gene therapies, viral vaccines and viral oncolytics.


 

1992

MA produces recombinant adenovirus for the treatment of cystic fibrosis on contract for the NIH.


 

1991

MA is first to commercialize models for validating a purification process' ability to remove or inactivate agents such as Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE, "mad cow disease"), Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (CJD) in humans, and other Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathies (TSEs) from biologically-derived materials.

The Company is awarded a five year, $10 million contract sponsored by the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS) to evaluate the mechanism of action in various compounds' toxic effects in animals.


 

1990

The Company is the first U. S. biosafety testing Contract Research Organization (CRO) to establish its own international laboratory, incorporating a wholly-owned subsidiary in Stirling, Scotland, United Kingdom.

MA develops testing protocols and evaluates the first gene therapy products allowed into human clinical trials by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

As part of a Cooperative Research and Development Agreement (CRADA) with the U. S. Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases (USAMRIID), the Company becomes the first CDC-approved commercial laboratory for testing simian filoviruses, including Ebola and Marburg.


 

1989

MA's first major R&D collaboration with another company includes a $2 million NIH contract to develop and validate a transgenic mouse for safety testing of chemical products (Stratagene's Big Blue (R)).

 

1988

MA tests the first genetically-engineered microbial pesticide to be approved by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for field trials (Bacillus thuringiensis).


 

1987

MA focuses principally on biotesting services for biotechnology, pharmaceutical and government clients.

Most laboratories move to a new state-of-the-art, award-winning 40,000 square foot facility in the Shady Grove Life Sciences Center in Rockville, Maryland.

The Company initiates expansion into international markets, engaging an experienced agent to represent its services in Japan.


 

1984

Daryl Laboratories, owned principally by Sidney R. Knafel, acquires MA from Whittaker Corporation and retains the name Microbiological Associates for the merged Company relocating product development and manufacturing operation from California to Maryland.

 

1983

MA begins biosafety testing for what becomes the first licensed therapeutic monoclonal antibody product (Ortho Pharmaceutical's Orthomune OKT¨3).


 

1982

MA acquires EG&G Mason Research Laboratories in Rockville, Maryland, establishing MA as one of the leading genetic toxicology laboratories in the world.

 

1981

The Company creates a Biotechnology Services Division specifically to pioneer new safety tests for the emerging biotechnology industry. In collaboration with Genentech, Inc., MA establishes the original biosafety testing program for what becomes the first licensed therapeutic derived from mammalian cells (Activase¨).

 

1980

MA begins expanding its commercial development and testing services as an early Contract Service Organization ("CSO").


1979

Whittaker Corporation divides MA into two parts, maintaining all testing services under the "Microbiological Associates" name. The tissue culture media, sera, and diagnostic products businesses are retained as a division of Whittaker, which is named MA BioProducts. Eventually spun off as BioWhittaker, this company continues today as a leading manufacturer and marketer of research reagents and diagnostic products.

 

1978

The Company becomes the first to license and market an ELISA diagnostic test for detection of cytomegalovirus (CMV).

 

1970-75

MA is the largest contractor to the NCI, with more than $7 million annually in contracts. The Company's client base is expanded to include the FDA, EPA, USDA and DoD.


 

1969

MA becomes the first bioscience company acquired by Whittaker Corporation of California. The Company begins developing new diagnostic products for human infectious diseases.


 

1960s

In collaborations with NIH, the Company develops new technologies for viral disease diagnoses of laboratory animals, including development of the Mouse Antibody Production (MAP) test. Additional contracts with NCI and NIH are established.

MA supports the National Aeronautics and Space Administration ("NASA") in development of safety testing protocols for lunar samples brought back from the moon's surface in 1969.


 

1956- 1960

MA begins producing viral diagnostic products. The Company also establishes its first contracts with the National Institutes of Health ("NIH") and the National Cancer Institute ("NCI").

 

1955

The Company establishes its first contract Research & Development ("R&D") program with the United States Government and the National Foundation for Infantile Paralysis to support development and production of the first polio vaccines.


 

1951

MA is acquired by Dr. Samuel Reeder and relocates to Bethesda, Maryland. The Company becomes the first commercial supplier of cell cultures and reagents.

 

1947

Microbiological Associates ("MA"), today's BioReliance Corporation, is incorporated on September 24 in Coral Gables, Florida. Founded by Charles E. Bender, the Company produces a single product, serum ultra filtrate, for the newly emerging tissue culture field.

Looking for a Specific Assay?

Start your search here.


example: Mycoplasma

How can we help?

US - Local: 301.738.1000

Toll Free: 800.756.5658

Click here to contact us